Tuesday, February 12, 2013

My thoughts on Pope Benedict's Resignation

Like everyone, yesterday morning I was caught completely off-guard by the announcement from Pope Benedict.  I awoke, said my morning prayer, grabbed my phone to check if there were any urgent emails waiting to ruin my day and I see the words "Pope Benedict resigns" scrolling across my phone's news ticker.

What?


I read the report, the four paragraph resignation written by Pope Benedict and felt an immediate sadness.  Not so much at him resigning, more at the the thought of the pain, and exhaustion and weariness that he must be experiencing and have been experiencing for quite some time if he was taking this unprecedented step of resigning because of age and health...  My prayers went out for him, a great man, suffering, and still able to put the needs of others, the needs of the Church ahead of himself.  The sheer humility evidenced in his statement.  If only I could be half the man he is...  And that was part of my sadness too... seeing in his humility how far I fall short of measuring up... and he knows he doesn't measure up, he needs God's grace to cover his failings...  More than a bit overwhelming.

After I settled the immediate emotions and spent some time in prayer my mind drifted to the thoughts many others have been centered on since the announcement: the future of the Church.  And, yes there was a bit of fear.  But not much, I'm in a good place right now, solidly trusting in God's providence, so the fear was fleeting, while I might struggle to trust in God to take care of me and protect me from harm, I have no doubt He will see to the well being of His Church.  That fear could gain no traction.  But, for quite a while, beyond the sadness and praying for our outgoing Pope and contemplating what it was speaking to me, I wasn't sure what more to think about the situation.

But, as I read a bit more about the decision.  And thought more about it I realized that there is little cause for sadness, absolutely no cause for fear, and there is every reason for hope, joy, excitement, and anticipation.

Here's what I began to recognize.  This was not some spurious decision made by the Pope.  And it wasn't a decision he came to alone.  He has clearly been contemplating this for quite some time.  He has been praying on it, discerning the matter for longer than any of us have known. This is not simply the action of a man, this is the action of a man that is being led by the Holy Spirit.  This is what God wanted and when He wanted it to occur.  And the timing of it just points to that reality, Monday before the start of Lent?  While other Popes have resigned, it is so rare an occurrence that it can't help but draw far more attention than an ordinary change in the Papacy...  Not only that, it is unprecedented to have a Pope resign for reasons of age and health, making it a situation that demands even further scrutiny.

And there is so much we can draw from it.  An example of humility.  An example of sacrifice.  A wave of emotions that might run contrary to what we should feel as good and faithful Christians, necessitating a deeper examination of ourselves and where we are in our walk with the Lord.  I'm sure there is more and for every one it may be different.  But the timing isn't accidental.

And, if things go as expected we'll have a new Pope for Holy Week... again, what might the point of that be?  In the middle of the "Year of Faith"?  Even if the new Pope isn't selected by then, Divine Mercy Sunday, the Easter Season, the Ascension, Pentecost?

Sure similar timing could happen with any Pope, but I've already pointed out that this transition is so unusual, it begs for us to examine what God might be doing.  But, here's where it gets exciting...

I'm reading all the people scared, concerned, anxious, worried, or discussing how critical it is that we quickly find a good a appropriate successor.  I'm reading that and thinking about how God is so clearly showing us that HE IS AT WORK HERE.  And I'm thinking, "Are you crazy?  Scared?  We have to make a good, quick choice?"  God has a plan.  He's carrying it out.

Those people are right, the Church is under siege, Islam is threatening the future of Christianity in some parts of the world, there are problems in the Church, there are problems in the world that the Church can be instrumental in addressing.  It is a tumultuous time.  And right now God is doing something!  Scared?  Why?  He's got a plan and He's working His plan and He's not just doing it subtly, He's said, "LOOK!  PAY ATTENTION! THIS IS UNUSUAL AND YOU SHOULD NOTICE!"

Of course, the big things God does, they some times don't match the big things we expect.  Our perspective and ability to comprehend God's plan and actions can't measure up to the perspective and understanding of our Infinite Creator and Father.  But, while everyone else is busy praying for fear or for what they want to see in a new Papacy I'm going to be praying prayers of thanksgiving.  Thanking God for taking such great care of us, asking Him to not let me overlook the wonderful things He does for us and His Church.  I want to see His hand at work.  I want to better understand Him by witnessing his subtle work and not just His overt actions and miracles.  This is an exciting time.  It's a time to thank our outgoing Pope for His service, his humility, his wisdom and his example and to pray that what ever remains in this life for him is blessed and grace filled and that he peacefully goes to meet our Heavenly Father in the mansion He has prepared.  Yes, and to feel that tinge of sadness as we struggle to understand our own mortality and that one day we too will be faced with having to admit our weakening...

But fear?  No way.  Jesus promised that He would always be with His Church and it would never fail.  He told us to not fear.  In my personal life, struggling with life's difficulties and my proclivity to sin I may falter in my trust that He will take care of little, tiny, insignificant me.  But His Church?  That I have no doubt about.

We're going to have a new Pope, we're going to miss the old.  But we are getting exactly what is needed, when it is needed and this time He wants us to pay attention more than we ever have before.

See if you can see His hand at work and learn more about what He has planned for us, for you, for the Church.