Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Thoughts on "Where's the Tabernacle?"

So, I read a nice little piece on Creative Minority Report about Matthew Archbold's family's experience at a parish they don't normally attend. There was some criticism of the music, but the main focus was on the location of the Tabernacle and the disrespect implied in the location.  I have no idea what church is being discussed, how the space is laid out or anything.  And, based on Matthew's description, it may be that the Tabernacle was placed in an inappropriate place.  Like Matthew, I too find it troublesome when I enter a new church and find myself the seeker in a game of "hide and seek with Jesus".

But, I have also learned that some times what I initially judge to be disrespectful placement is actually very sensible, practical, and respectful.  Just a few examples I have encountered where I find my initial judgement to be erroneous.

1.  One parish I know have has large, movable glass walls that can separate a small chapel from the main worship space.  During Sunday Mass the wall is removed and the pews in that area are oriented toward the main altar.  But the rest of the week, the wall is in place and the pews are turned away from the main altar, toward the chapel altar and tabernacle.  The tabernacle can be seen from all areas in the main worship space, but during Sunday Mass it might be seen as being "hidden in a corner".  But, if you return Sunday afternoon or during the week, you realize that there is wisdom in the arrangement.  The parish has a small, quiet, always open chapel where you can pray in the presence of the Eucharist, even if the main worship space is being used for a wedding, a youth ministry, a daily Mass, a funeral, or another purpose.  And, the sectioned off chapel provides for a much more intimate sense when praying than is felt sitting in the large, open worship space.

2.  A number of Cathedrals I have visited obviously predate the modern movable wall technologies.  They have the main worship space and a separate reservation chapel where the tabernacle is located.  And, sitting in the main worship space there is absolutely no way to see the Tabernacle.  When the Eucharist is reserved or retrieved, the Deacon or EMHC must leave the worship space and walk down a hallway to the chapel tabernacle and back.  Like above, there is wonderful value and respect shown in having a very special, intimate chapel where Our Lord resides and can be visited.

Of course, then there are those bizarre, inexplicable designs where the tabernacle is set off in a position that serves no purpose.  It is not intended to serve a more intimate or reverent purpose, and other design elements call into question who or what is being worshiped, what the focus is versus what it should be...

But, that particular parish I first mentioned above, I went there several times out of necessity, each time thinking negative thoughts about the parish because of where the tabernacle was located.  Oblivious to the true design.  Until one weekday afternoon I walked in to spend a little time in prayer and reflection and discovered the chapel walls were in place and it all made perfect sense.  Since then, I have tried my best to take the following approach in any parish I am visiting or new to:

1.  If something bothers me, I talk to the priest after the Mass.  Not accusing, not asserting that there is something wrong.  But noting to the priest that I observed something different and am curious to understand the intent or reasoning or purpose in what I perceived as being different.  Frequently I am astonished to learn about a local custom or tradition or very pious practice that may be unique to the area or that may be something that has been uniquely absent from where I have lived...  Just as an example, after years being raised and attending Mass in a parish where the fonts were emptied of water on Ash Wednesday, I was perplexed to be visiting a place where the Holy Water was still in the fonts several weeks into Lent.  And asking the priest about this odd practice I learned that it was my parish that was odd and in the wrong.  Similarly, when visiting another parish I was baffled by the ringing of the bells at the Epiclesis.  While not common and widespread, I learned it was an ancient tradition and is quite legitimate and praiseworthy.  Asking questions about tabernacle placement has also led me to learn about some truly wonderful Adoration Chapels.  And, one time, I found the placement of the Tabernacle within the wall the behind the altar, like a wall safe, to be interesting and asked about that, to learn that the wall separated the sanctuary of a chapel I was not aware of from the main worship space, and they shared access to the Tabernacle...  Pretty creative design, to be able to always be before the Tabernacle, in either worship space...

2.  If I don't have an opportunity to ask I assume the best of intentions.  I assume that I must be missing some piece of information and thank God that I had the opportunity to worship and receive the Eucharist in a place that challenged me and gave me opportunity to grow.

3.  If the answer is unsatisfying, I try to remember that even in my place of work, I frequently find myself being asked questions about why some policy is in place or some design choice was made and, despite having worked for the same organization for 20 years, I find myself not having a good answer and having to go seek a better answer.  And while, I try to avoid "making up answers" sometimes I do find myself trying to explain something I don't really know the answer to, or making assumptions and filling in a blank space with my own ideas, or repeating something that was inaccurately represented to me...  I haven't met many people that don't, on occasion, have a prideful tendency to avoid saying "I don't know."