Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve 2011

As I prepare to lay down, anticipating the joyous day tomorrow celebrating the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ, I took a few minutes to consider all the gifts God has blessed me with this year. This has been a very trying year. Truly, my faith in God is all that has enabled me to get through this year. So, one might think that it would be difficult to find blessings to thank God for this year.


Of course, with three beautiful children, a stable job and an ever growing faith, it's easy to find at least a few things to thank God for. But, earlier this week the Spirit guided me to spend my lunch hour attending a daily Mass said by a long-time friend and amazing priest and his homily that day made me realize how much more there is to be thankful for.

His homily stemmed from the Magnificat, Mary's Canticle, and how she proclaimed how greatly God had blessed her. A proclamation she made after having had her world turned upside down, an ordinary human at her age, single, in a very strict community, living in poverty, told she was pregnant would probably have a different view of the situation, especially being betrothed and knowing that her husband to be knew they had not had relations. We often forget the situation she was in, but she still thanks God for the blessing. OK, she had spoken to an angel that may have eased her fears, but my friend went beyond the moment. He asked us to contemplate what this gift meant for her life, she had to endure seeing her son ridiculed, shunned, villified, beaten, tortured, forced to carry the instrument of his own execution, nailed to a cross and watch him die an agonizing death, a sacrificial death to pay for the sins of everyone except those of her guiltless son. But, even at the foot of the cross that day, we know Mary would still praise and thank God for the gift of her son.

Today, we still look at that barbarous act, that violent, tragic painful death, and instead of fearing the cross, instead of hating what was done, we thank God for that gift. We may not fully understand God's reasoning or plan, but we know that He can take something that awful and turn it for good. We can turn to Joseph's words in Genesis 50:20 and trust that what ever happens in life God will use it for good.

So, the suffering I've endured this year? It's not God's doing, but He allows it, because He knows He can turn it to good. I can already see some fruits of this suffering. My trust, love and faith in Him has increased through all these trials, that's about the best good I can imagine, growing closer to my God.

So, as I go to sleep this Christmas Eve, I thank for my kids. I thank God that I have a great job, a roof over our heads, and some sense of security. I thank him for giving me the gifts that allow me to serve him as a Confirmation teacher and giving me the opportunity to work with some great kids. I thank Him for all the good things in my life. But, I also offer Him thanks and praise for the suffering, the struggles and the pains He allows into my life. I don't understand the purpose behind all of them, but I know that whatever He allows others to do to me, His plan will turn it to good so long as I trust in Him and make His will my own. So thank you God!

And, most importantly, thank you for the gift of your Son, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! Tomorrow, while the kids are opening their presents and everyone is smiling, happy, and joyous, I'll be reminded and remind them that as wonderful as the gifts under the tree are, it's that gift of redemption, that gift of eternal life that we are getting to foretaste. That gift is the only one that truly matters.

Merry Christmas to All!