Thursday, February 9, 2012

Saint's Reflection on Mark7:24-30

Today's Gospel was the story of the Gentile woman at first denied Jesus' power to heal her daughter possessed of an unclean spirit, but in her persistence Christ found and rewarded great faith.  Saint Claude de la Columbiere had a beautiful reflection on it which I feel compelled to quote pieces of:

"Consider the workings of divine providence and...the refusal you meet...is only God's strategem to increase your fervor...Remember how he acted towards the Canaanite woman...With what tenderness does he repulse those whom he most wishes to be indulgent to...Take care not to be deceived by it.  The more he seems unwilling, the more you must insist."
"Do as the woman of Canaan; use against him the very arguments he may have for refusing you...I do not deserve the grace I ask, but I do not ask you to give me what I deserve; I ask it through the merits of my Redeemer...you will be unjust to yourself if you give me only what I deserve.  If I were worthier of your benefits it would be less to your glory to give me them.  It is unjust to grant favors to a sinner, but I...appeal...to your mercy."
"Compel God to throw off the mask and say to you with admiration 'Great is your faith, be it done as you wish.  I can no longer resist you, you shall have what you desire, in this life and the next'" 
What powerful words.  Like a love interest that challenges a suitor to pursue and prove his love for her, our Lord wills that we truly desire and want to share in his love.  He will always challenge us to greater reach higher, as we achieve greater capacity for love he will challenge us to grow still further.