Monday, March 18, 2013

A sad understanding of Catholicism

One of Pope Francis' allegiances might tell us something about the church's future | National Catholic Reporter

I was referred to this article by a well meaning friend and was quite troubled by this author's complete lack of understanding of what it means to be Catholic.  Every criticism this writer has of Comunione e Liberazione is refuting Catholic Dogma, Doctrine, or Catechesis.


The Church is an inerrant teacher of faith and morals.  That is not anti-Catholic. Nor is it problematic that any Catholic organization would teach that we are to be obedient to the Vicar of Christ.  The Church is Christ's institution created to lead us to Him and at the head of the Church He placed to Pope to be His steward on Earth.  Being Catholic is precisely being obedient to Christ's Church and His vicar.

That someone can claim to be Catholic, speaking for Catholics, while at the same time beliefs in Papal authority that match the Eastern Orthodox belief is beyond troubling.  If you are not in full communion with the Pope, you are not truly a practicing Catholic.

And just to preempt the counter-argument:  No, that does not mean we must be impeccable, free of sin, or perfect.  Belief in man's need for mercy, forgiveness and confession due to his weakness is all part of being in communion with the Pope.  I sin.  I recognize my sin.  I hate my sin.  I am ashamed of my sin.  I need a savior.  I need forgiveness.  Forgiveness is offered in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Of course, I suspect I am blind to the entirety of my sinfulness;  I probably commit sins I am not aware are sins.  And sometimes, in my shame, I deny that I am being sinful, but my conscience, formed by the Church and Papal teaching, convicts me otherwise.  I don't want to say this is the cause of this one blogger's refuting the infallibility of the Church and the Pope, but others I know have recognized that at certain points in their life, their own shame and desire to excuse themselves led them to denying the Church authority instead making themselves or their "understanding" of the Bible authoritative over Christ's teaching establishment.  We're human.  We not only make mistakes, we like to rationalize our choices that cause us guilt, shame, or discomfort.

But, in this case, the writer is trying to offer something up as being Catholic when in reality is by definition anti-Catholic.  Catholicism is about recognizing, identifying, and synthesizing one authority into our lives.  The one authority is Christ.  And Christ created a Church and the episcopal offices of Pope and Bishops to stand as His representatives for Truth on Earth.  Denying the infallibility of the Pope or Jesus' Church is denying His authority.