Monday, March 18, 2013

And to the other extreme..

I already commented on one set of critics of our new Pope, the group that is criticizing Pope Francis for holding Catholic beliefs...  Now, for the other end of the spectrum, those that are criticizing the way he shuns the traditions and the trappings of High Mass.

Let me start by saying, I love the High Mass.  It is beautiful and full of dignity which God fully deserves.  I am not opposed to beautiful cathedrals of marble of and stained glass, or gold chalices, and noble vestments.  They serve a purpose, they lift the mind and soul towards God.  They are all fitting to a King and with the priest in persona Christi honor, dignity, and signs of nobility are always appropriate.


However, this is yet another case where the Catholic both/and, rather than the Protestant either/or applies.  Because I also find the Low Mass and a completely stripped down setting to be satisfying or worthy and fitting our worship.

Let me start with the theological.  The most critical element of the Mass, the thing that makes it not just worth participating in but which demands we should dive into it is the Eucharist.  The sacrifice and communion with God in the Real Presence.  To that end, there are rubrics that should be followed, there is the Rite that must be adhered to for the sacrifice to be proper.  And, a priest willfully disregarding the rubrics, the ritual, is disconcerting, but not because of how it hurts me or draws me away from what should be my focus. No, unlike many that wring their hands about an improperly celebrated Mass my concern is more worry about the priest and whether or not this is a sign of an even deeper problem of faith.  And considering how rich a target our priests are for Satan and his minions, this is no small concern.

But, I'm not going to get all legalistic and freak out about a priest that routinely makes inconsequential changes what is printed in the GIRM.  I'm going to pray for that priest and I'm going to gently ask about the differences from what I understand and what I observe and allow the Holy Spirit the opportunity to guide me  or His priest to a truer understanding of God's intent for us.

I go to Mass because my Lord is present.  I go for Him.  I don't go for the music or the pageantry, or the incense, or for the dialogue.  I go to be one with God and to offer my sacrifice for our salvation.  Beyond that theological reality, the rest is (to a degree) window dressing.

Yes, Jesus is King of the Universe.  He is deserving of all the gold and silk we can dress Him in.  He deserves to have His throne be an altar of the richest marble and gold, crafted by the finest craftsmen.  But...

Let's not forget, he came to us in poverty, in a manger, his family the poor, humble family of a carpenter.  He emptied himself of wealth beyond our imagination to be here for us, a humble, weak baby, a poor man.  And as His disciples He called poor fisherman, tax collectors and sinners, he rode onto the field of battle on an ass, not a warhorse.  Of course, he also accepted being anointed with costly nard.  Not a contradiction, but a fullness of truth, humble and royal.

Beyond the theological there is the very real experiences I have had.  As I said earlier, I love the High Mass. I have had beautiful experiences of the Mass in English and in Latin, in some of the most beautiful Cathedrals in our country.  But, I also grew up in a simple, rural parish, a very plain sanctuary and nave that I still attend.   In an area of the country where the simple is the predominant Church aesthetic.  While the beauty of the great cathedrals does remind of the treasure God has in store for us, while it does remind of God's rightful Kingship in my life, the simple setting of my home parish gives God no less honor and Christ is no less present in the Eucharist than He is in St. Peter's Basilica or the Sistine Chapel.  Christ will come to us as a pauper or a King, the Gospel testifies to this as historical fact, not just supposition.

But, my experience goes beyond the elegant versus the simple, but still clearly a Church.  During my mission trip to Guatemala I had the opportunity to attend Mass in a truly impoverished community.  A community where the building that served as their Church would not have even been suitable as a barn here in Nebraska.  Dirt floor, corrugated steel roof, supported on 4x4s, with incomplete walls of plywood on all sides, and a few of the same 4x4's nailed together to form a waist high table to serve as altar.  This was a "permanent" structure about as nice as any of the "homes" in this community.  It was almost certainly nicer than the manager Our Lord was born in, as the corrugated metal roof was surely more resistant to rain than a thatched roof of a manger in an impoverished first century community.  But, despite the destitute setting, I felt as close to God at that Mass as I did at the Highest of Masses in the most ornate of Cathedrals.  Christ was still present and it made the room into a royal setting.

Further, that plus a more recent experience in a local parish that celebrates some Masses in Spanish and Vietnamese reminded me further of the truth about our Mass.  In Guatemala, and recently attending non-English Masses locally there was no greater reminder that the words spoken and how they effect me are irrelevant to why we go to Mass.  I didn't understand a word of the readings, the homily, or the prayers.  I couldn't the Profession of Faith, the Holy, Holy, Holy, or the Our Father with the congregation because I didn't understand a single word being said.  I couldn't sing along.  I couldn't appreciate a word of the prayers being sung.  But, I knew what was happening.  I could silently offer my prayers, express my faith, and participate in the Mass and recognize that Christ became truly present during those Masses I participated in.

The form was not comfortable to me.  The form failed to communicate a lot of things to me.  The form was absolutely not what I would have chosen.  I would have wanted English, I would have wanted pews with cushions to sit on instead of rough hewn wood benches with no backs and to kneel on hard packed dirt and gravel.  But that was my personal preference and desires of a material sort.  My spiritual preference and desire was to be one with my Savior and that has happened in every circumstance and every form of Mass I have ever attended.

I get it.  People are comfortable with the old form of Mass, they are comfortable with the way John Paul II and Benedict XVI carried the papacy and celebrated Mass.  But, that is not a full picture of the Church or where we came from and where we are.  And, in this day and age, outward displays of wealth send confusing messages or are too easily linked to secular world views.

I've noted previously my thoughts on the Holy Spirit taken action lately.  I can see that part of what is going on right now is to shake us up, to remind us of what we are really called to.  Separate the things that can be mistaken for secular from what is truly Christian and get us focused on that for a while.  Pope Francis isn't throwing away the Catholic faith.  He is highlighting the parts that many Catholics have forgot and setting the less important or more confusing elements aside.

And, let's not forget.  Pope Francis comes from a part of the world that is decidedly different from what any of us in this country are comfortable with and different from what any of our recent Popes have been truly familiar with. Pope Francis surely has had first hand experience with those truly impoverished third world Catholic communities where a make-shift barn is all that is possible for establishing a Catholic church.  He is well aware of what is truly necessary for the Mass and to bring Christ to people and what is just our wealthy perception of what makes for comfortable worship that appeals to our senses.

Everything Pope Francis is doing is pointing to the Gospel, pointing to Christ, pointing to humility and non-judgmental love of Christ and one another.  Listen to the Holy Spirit working through him.  Try to understand the message and how it challenges you to grow instead of trying to tell the Holy Spirit how you want Him to make you feel warm and fuzzy when you grace Him with your presence at the Mass.